Here are ten of many benefits of drinking wheatgrass juice, the dark green juice pressed from the blades of young wheat and barley plants.
These benefits have been studied for nearly eighty years: animal studies, many at the University of Wisconsin in the 1930s and in contemporary Japan; clinical studies; and the experiences of individuals at home and at healing resorts.
1. Wheatgrass juice is just plain refreshing! It's easy to create a cooler with ice, pineapple juice, and/or lemon juice.
2. It stops cravings for sugar and chocolate. In my personal experience (before I changed my diet enough to stop having cravings), every shot of wheatgrass juice stopped chocolate cravings for the day. These cravings, typical of Americans, are due in part to common mineral deficiencies, especially a deficiency in magnesium. Wheatgrass juice is an abundant source of magnesium and other essential minerals.
3. The juice is immediately energizing due to its super amount of concentrated nutrients. It's not a stimulant—it's a superfood.
4. Over time, it can restore energy and stamina.
5. As a green food, it is loaded with green chlorophyll, the plant pigment that transforms sunlight into energy. Chlorophyll is in all vegetables; it contributes to the health value of vegetables. Chlorophyll has been used as a treatment for problems as diverse as anemia, pancreatitis, and radiation poisoning.
6. It helps the liver remove toxins from the body. It contains detoxifying enzymes and also stimulates the body's production of these enzymes.
7. It is anti-inflammatory. It can reduce or eliminate pain, especially in joints and muscles. One doctor told me that wheatgrass juice is used for arthritis when nothing else works.
8. It improves digestive health. It cleanses, disinfects, and heals mucous membranes. One clinical trial showed improvement in symptoms of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) by drinking wheatgrass; wheatgrass healed ulcers in animal studies.
9. It improves the immune system's ability to fight infections by its large amounts of beta-carotene (a precursor of vitamin A) and related carotenoids. Its chlorophyll assists in making the vitamin available to the body.
10. Wheatgrass juice is used as supportive or non-specific treatment of serious illnesses, including cancer.
The benefits of drinking wheatgrass juice are many and the above are only a few.
Wheatgrass information about the taste of wheatgrass juice, how much to drink, types of wheatgrass, healing resorts that use wheatgrass, and books about wheatgrass.
Wheatgrass nutrition is very potent and includes chlorophyll and antioxidant enzymes.